“Leaders invest time and energy in articulating, activating and embedding the organization’s purpose.” Why is this important? Successful organizations depend on engaged and motivated employees, and purpose is a key driver of motivation and engagement.
As we begin 2019, I am reflecting again on my life purpose and how this is translated into a collective, empowering and meaningful purpose for The Bailey Group (TBG). I’m aware that striving to avoid failure and seeking approval from others can sometimes crowd out the pursuit of meaningful purpose. For that reason, clarity of purpose will always be a high priority for me and TBG.
I believe my purpose (as I understand it today) is to grow as a person in order to make a difference in the world. This requires taking risks, being motivated by purpose (not fear), remaining open, speaking and acting authentically, behaving with kindness and respect towards others, and seeking to understand the unique value I bring as a result of my life experiences.
My colleagues and I have recently spent time reflecting on TBG’s core purpose and the differentiating value we offer as a firm. The result of that work is a statement of purpose we seek to actualize in 2019: Because Your Leadership Matters.
Few of us can change the course of history. We make a difference by focusing on what we can do…committing to our personal growth and to building purpose driven organizations. Why is this important? Because your leadership matters, to the world, your customers, and your employees.
At TBG, we will focus on three strategic priorities in 2019:
- Continuing to grow in our ability to be catalysts for the growth of our clients as people and as leaders by building partnerships with them that teach, mentor, nurture, inspire, support and challenge
- Finding new ways to measure the impact of our work, both qualitatively and quantitatively
- Remaining focused on our core purpose, as individuals and as a firm by continuously asking ourselves
- What do we need to learn?
- How can we be more authentic? What risks are we avoiding?
- How do we know that we are making a difference?
Wishing you a happy, healthy and purposeful 2019!